We are a privately owned anatomic pathology lab based in Medford, Oregon and have provided pathology services to Southern Oregon for over 40 years. VPL proudly hires top talent to create a work environment of diversity, professional growth and quality healthcare. Our workforce is committed to the important service we provide to Southern Oregon. We always strive for excellence and have a strong desire to have involvement with the advances in medicine and the role laboratory services plays within each patient’s life. We never forget that there is a patient behind every specimen we receive. We are looking for individuals who want to contribute to Vista Pathology Laboratory’s culture of accountability, integrity, service, and excellence. Consider joining our dynamic team.
Supervises both the operational and technical aspects of the Histology Section of the Laboratory. Fulfills all duties of General Supervisor in Histology as defined by CLIA.
• Performs supervisory functions; prepares work schedules, assigns staff, observes performance to provide input to formal evaluations, and makes recommendations for personnel actions; assists in staff selection and provides training and orientation for employees.
• Able to create and build highly functioning teams.
• Makes task assignments that will help employees develop their skills.
• Ensures compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
• Monitors and controls expenses within approved budget allocations.
• Ensures the proper technical, clinical, and operational performance of the section.
• Monitors the technical competence of all personnel working in the department through appropriate training, review of results, quality control checks, performance evaluations, and feedback with individuals.
• Observes techniques of and services rendered by staff to ensure adherence to hospital guidelines.
• Implements, maintains, evaluates, and ensures adherence to the quality control program within the section.
• Reviews technical procedures in use and modifies, researches, and implements new and/or revised procedures or equipment for the section in consultation with management and pathology staff; ensures that policies/procedures conform to requirements of accrediting agencies.
• Directs the purchase/requisition of laboratory supplies and equipment by evaluating quality, cost, and service to select the most desirable vendors; evaluates, justifies, installs and maintains equipment within the department.
• Performs operation, maintenance, quality control, and troubleshooting of equipment and reagent systems with appropriate documentation and follow up.
• Recognizes abnormal or unusual slides and/or test results and determines proper course of action prior to reporting results; consults with Pathologist regarding difficult analyses or abnormal findings when appropriate.
• Communicates effectively with customers, patients, physicians, and coworkers to ensure good quality patient care.
• Able to perform all duties of a Histotechnologist.
• Prepares department for CAP and other inspections
• Keep tallies of workload as required by management and pathologist.
• Uses appropriate safety procedures for handling, storage, and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious, radioactive, and toxic substances.
• Adheres to Vista Pathology Laboratory organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years of lab experience. Prefer experience with Automated Immunohistochemistry staining
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION : Certified Histology Technician HT (ASCP)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of how to prepare microscope slides of human tissue for pathological examination.
• Skill in analyzing results and determining if an error has been made then following up with Pathologist.
• Skill in training, leading and guiding staff in proper procedures and making recommendations for improvement.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
• Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
• Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
• Ability to calculate and/or read and interpret figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
• Ability to accurately read and interpret health care business financial and expense reports.
• Ability to solve practical problems and manage a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Job Type: Full-time
Paid time off
Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
Retirement benefits or accounts
Primary Location: Vista Pathology Laboratory. Medford, Oregon
Posted: May 17, 2019
Updated: May 17, 2019
To Apply for a Position
If you’re interested in applying, please send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the position title in the subject line.
Compensation & Benefits
Vista Pathology Laboratory offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vista Pathology is an equal opportunity employer.