As a small but rapidly growing independent pathology lab, we can offer a diverse work environment unlike most other laboratories and encourage the exploration of each individual’s interests and skills
We are currently seeking a Senior Level Histotech with the following skills and knowledge:
Prepares histologic slides from human tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by Pathologist. Essential Key Responsibilities:
- Exercises independent judgment in dealing with procedural and technical problems.
- Examines slides and/or blocks to ensure tissue preparation is meeting laboratory requirements.
- Trains or directs Laboratory Assistants and Histology Technicians engaged in laboratory testing and processing techniques.
- Prepares sections of human tissue for microscopic examination and patient diagnosis, using techniques to gross (dissect tissue), embed (orient specimen in paraffin block), section (cut thin sections of tissue), stain (enhance contrast of tissue and highlight specific features of interest with routine hematoxylin and eosin stains), and mount tissue (adhere tissue onto glass slides), from surgical procedures.
- Performs recuts and additional stains including special and immunohistochemistry stains, as requested by a Pathologist.
- Operates computerized laboratory equipment to fix, dehydrate, and infiltrate with wax, tissue specimens to be preserved for study by Pathologist.
- May label requisitions, specimen containers, cassettes and/or slides and affixes coverslip to slides.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and tracks all routine maintenance and quality controls performed.
- Files, retrieves, and distributes blocks, slides, and pathology reports.
- Operates, cleans, and sterilizes laboratory equipment, glassware, instruments, and workstation.
- Disposes of hazardous chemical waste per regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Complies with all State, Federal, professional regulations as well as company and departmental rules, polices, and procedural manuals.
- Adherence to CAP, CLIA, State Regulations, HIPAA, Safety and OSHA Regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of Laboratory Science or equivalent under the 1988 Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) guidelines of high complexity testing.
- State licensure, if applicable.
- Certified or eligible for Board of Certification (BOC) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).
- Completion of a Histology program accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) or minimum of one (1) year experience as a Histology Technician Trainee and competent in the areas of embedding, microtomy, grossing, special stains, and immunohistochemistry.
- Successful completion of an Online Medical Terminology Program upon commencement of employment.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment visual color discrimination test.
- Successful completion of annual education units per state licensure and/or ASCP guidelines.
- Histology: 5 year (Preferred)
- Regulations: 1 year (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 /year
Paid time off
Healthcare spending or reimbursement accounts such as HSAs or FSAs
Retirement benefits or accounts
Primary Location: Vista Pathology Laboratory. Medford, Oregon
Posted: April 15, 2019
Updated: April 22, 2019
To Apply for a Position
If you’re interested in applying, please send résumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
Please include the position title in the subject line.
Compensation & Benefits
Vista Pathology Laboratory offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vista Pathology is an equal opportunity employer.